Need help with wireless config.

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at officeonweb.net
Thu Apr 6 16:45:46 UTC 2006

I am still struggling with this wireless connection.  In most cases
system-config-network does a reasonable job of setting up configuration
for me but I'm not sure what it's doing for "wireless?"  The adapter
card is plugged into a PCI slot but it keeps calling it eth1 or eth2, it
looks to me like it ought to be wlan0?

Wlassistant indicates it is having trouble with routing but I don't know
what to enter there and there is no man page:
wlassistant
kbuildsycoca running...
Loaded application options.
DHCP Client: dhclient
All executables found.
iwconfig_status: /sbin/iwconfig
==>stderr: lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Wireless interface(s): wlan0
Permissions checked.
ifconfig_status: /sbin/ifconfig wlan0
scan: /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan
Networks found: 1
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.

Iwconfig provides the following:
iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Auto  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=-109 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Route shows as follows:
route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
10.1.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
default         10.1.1.254      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

I think I should be able to browse to 192.168.1.1 and see the router set
up screen from this computer via the Linksys WMP54G adapter card.
Wlassistant indicates that I have a good quality signal on channel 6.
But iwconfig shows zero signal?  I guess if I could satisfy the routing
requirement it would begin to work.

Can anyone tell me what to do next?

Bob Goodwin