Windows XP and Linux

Washington, CJ (OCTO) CJ.Washington at dc.gov
Thu Apr 6 18:18:57 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Mike McCarty
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:26 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: dual booting XP and Linux

Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP using two Hard drives.
>

> Have another question, I tired and tried to load Linux and XP using
> two different Hard Drives.  XP loaded
>
> Correctly, and it seemed as if Linux did to. I loaded XP on the
> primary drive and linux on the slave drive.  I followed the
> instructions on Fedoras site on how to dual boot two operating systems
> and installed grub in the MBR on hda.  Every time I tried to boot the
> machine, the MBR was I guess ignored and linux never booted.  XP kept
> booting.  So I found a website that mentioned removing one of the
> harddrives, installing XP on it, then removing that harddrive and
> plugging in the second harddrive as master, install Linux on that one,
> then plug in the hard drive with XP as the slave drive.  Then booting into
linux and changing the grub.conf file.

I found it easier to let the WinXP boot manager chain load GRUB than the
other way 'round. MicroSoft products like to be in charge. While GRUB+Linux
is not a good match, it is a reasonable match, and works pretty well,
whereas GRUB+WinXP is a poor match, and the WinXP boot manager is a pretty
reasonable tool. Once GRUB is in memory, it's just GRUB, however it got
there, and can load Linux just fine.

Mike
--

Mike, thanks for your help, so since I do have Linux successfully installed
and I have Windows XP successfully installed but on two different hard

Is WinXP boot manager a separate tool that I need to purchase?