dual booting XP and Linux

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:32:31 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Washington, CJ (OCTO) <CJ.Washington at dc.gov > wrote:

> Washington, CJ (OCTO) wrote:
> > Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP using two Hard drives.
> >

> > Have another question, I tired and tried to load Linux and XP using two
> > different Hard Drives.  XP loaded
> >
> > Correctly, and it seemed as if Linux did to. I loaded XP on the primary
> > drive and linux on the slave drive.  I followed the instructions on
> Fedoras
> > site on how to dual boot two operating systems and installed grub in the
> MBR
> > on hda.  Every time I tried to boot the machine, the MBR was I guess
> ignored
> > and linux never booted.  XP kept booting.  So I found a website that
> > mentioned removing one of the harddrives, installing XP on it, then
> removing
> > that harddrive and plugging in the second harddrive as master, install
> Linux
> > on that one, then plug in the hard drive with XP as the slave drive.
> Then
> > booting into linux and changing the grub.conf file.
>

>  Mike, thanks for your help, so since I do have Linux successfully
> installed and I have Windows XP successfully installed but on two different
> hard drives, how do I make WinXP boot manager understand how to dual boot
> using Linux as an option?
>
> Is WinXP boot manager a separate tool that I need to purchase?

You can boot so many ways into a dual-boot system, but you will be using
only one of them.
There is no particular demerit in either (as of now as I know it).

U said Win XP  Boots using grub but fedora does not.

[Make backup beforehand - of file U get-set to change ]
[# cp grub.conf grub.conf.bak]

U have to get to file /boot/grub/grub.conf and change something in the line
after title
 root (hd1,0)   <- instead of anything else, that is in ur case. >
                     <- hd0 is ur first disk hd1 is ur second disk >
                     <- ,0) is ur first partition and  ,1) would be the
second on that disk) >
                     <- this is how grub works >

Now how to get to grub.conf and do editing is explained in this list so many
times.
 can U please search. even how to search is discussed.
One Easy way is to go to fedora-list
archive<http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/>.

open april or march month's view by [ Thread
]<http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2006-April/thread.html>
and do ctrl-f in your browser for what U want to search.
Other way is MARC: Mailing list
ARChives<http://marc.10east.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2>

--
Anil Kumar Shrama