FC5 Totem and DVD

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 6 20:06:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-04 at 16:36 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 14:38, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > Jeff
> >
> > I think that it doesn't make any sense to have :
> > Xmms
> > Mplayer
> > Xine
> > Totem
> >
> > installed, as here.
> > Any application should play a DVD out of the box. My two cents....
>
> Few would argue, but in reality legality matters.  You can, in fact, play a
> DVD in most of those applications, providing it is non-encrypted, but the
> movie industry being what it is, you don't find many of those.  Grab the
> plugins from the repositories recommended to you.  I did it the easy way - I
> elected to use xine from freshrpms and it offered me all the plugins I needed
> to do the job.  One automatic installation with yum.
>
> Anne
I actually have an officially released unencrypted DVD at home. I first
tried to play it on a Windows machine with a DXR2 DVD kit, but it
wouldn't play, I thought it was defective so I returned it and got
another one. After it wouldn't play, I figured there must be more to
it, so I took the DVD to FutureShop and tried it in some standalone
DVD players. The only ones that would play it were made by Toshiba, so
I bought one. I would hope that most DVD players would play it now,
I bought a portable DVD/Navigation system and it will play data DVD's
with vidX, DivX and MP3's, regular DVD's and audio CD's it even has a
built in FM transmitter so I can listen to it over the stereo in my
truck, when I am not using it for navigation.