very strange connection problem on FC5 installation (SOLVED)

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:53:43 UTC 2006

--- Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/06, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > --- Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > me
> > modem
> > around

> > notice.

> > and

> > modem....sort
> > brought

> > > Hi Trotter!
> > >
> > > My Quest supplied ActiontecG701-WG responded to IPv6 DNS queries with
> > the
> > > same 1.0.0.0 address.  I found the easiest way arround it was to remove
> > the
> > > modem's address (192.168.0.1) from /etc/resolv.conf (there was another
> > > nameserver to use).
> > >
> > > I did not see anything about a Kernal issue related to this?  To what do
> > you
> > > refer.
> > >
> > > In the process I learned that Firefox has one network related parameter
> > > disable the use of IPv6 DNS queries.  Perhaps this is more common than
> > we
> > > know.
> > >
> > > Perhaps it should be filed as a bug with a suggested fix to check for a
> > > valad response address?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the note!
> > >
> > > Tod
> >
> > Hi Tod,
> >
> > I was about to telnet into my modem and try to fix the problem. However,
> > have
> > you upgraded to the latest firmware for this modem (released on 16th March
> > 2006)? Is the bug still there. Upgrading seems to have "worked" for me....
> >
> > Best,
> > Trotter

> Hi Trotter!
>
> The modem is not ours and there is no real reason at this time to call Quest
> about it.  So no.
>
> Strange though, the problem seemed to go away for a time.  I wonder if they
> from time to time upgrade the firmware and in the last cycle got the wrong
> edition somehow.?
>
> People have often suggested setting up my own DNS server in the machine.
> Probably that would be a good idea and I may well do it some time.
>
> All the best!
>
> Tod

Qwest does not need to be called. The firmware upgrade is from their DSL help
page, and I am sure they would like you to go through it. But of course, your
choice. (I actually decided to purchase mine, beause it is far more
cost-effective.)

Anyway, the problem does "go away from time to time" but that is because of the
bug. That is also documented in the notes I found on the web.

Best,
Trotter.