finding library routines

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200604 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Apr 7 17:32:04 UTC 2006

I'm trying to compile a program that calls MD5Init().  The command
"man 3 md5" shows the usage for MD5Init(), but doesn't indicate which
library to link with to get the function.  Running "nm" on the likely
candidates (like /lib64/libssl.so gives me.

           $ nm -Agp /usr/lib64/libssl.so
           nm: /usr/lib64/libssl.so: no symbols

A stripped library???  How does that work?  How is one supposed to
link against it or even find out what is in it?

If the man page doesnt' mention the library name containing a
function, how is one supposed to find it?

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html