Looking for Circuit CAD and simulation (optinal) for Fedora!

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Apr 7 18:15:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 17:52 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Dan Thurman wrote:
> > a couple of issues when trying to figure out how
> > to install gEDA on Fedora....
> >

> > 1) Created the CD, plugged the CD into the CD-player
> >    and Fedora FC5 does not autorun.  Oddball was
> >    I also have a 2nd CD/DVD (both RW) and it seems
> >    to autorun but I could not run ./installer maybe
> >    because the mount properties are not correct.
> >
> > 2) Digging deeper, the README says that if autorun
> >    fails, then to manually mount with gentoo/debian
> >    style, which I did, and I was then able to run
> >    the installer script.
> >
> >    I had assumed at this point that following the
> >    wizard instructions, to define the source and
> >    installation directory would somehow take care
> >    of things for the proper environment, i.e. a
> >    Fedora environment for it's filesystem structure
> >    but I guess I was wrong...  it was not installed
> >    in the correct place(s).
> >
> >    Can anyone tell me how to properly install gEDA
> >    on Fedora or point me to the links where I can
> >    read up on it and install it right?
>
> There are a bunch of gEDA packages in the review queue for Fedora Extras.
>
> You might consider trying them:
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora+Extras&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=gEDA
>
> Paul.

Looks to me that gEDA is just not capable of being built and installed
on FC5 at this time.  I tried to build/install using the gEDA wizard but
it stops short attempting to build the gnucap application so I filed a
bug report at the gEDA sourceforge site.  It is not clear exactly what
the problem is - but I have seen something like this behavior in another
application I was trying to build in FC5 and it involved g++ and
iterator resolving issues but I don't know exactly what the problem is,
i.e. if the problem is with the application itself, is g++ as bugs or is
newer, or g++'s libraries with bugs, missing, or newer or what.  No
clue.

As for the link you provided, I am not sure what to do with it other
than to see there are others wanting sponsors and/or is reviewing gEDA
and a bunch of .spec files to be reviewed but getting gEDA onto FC5
appears not ready for FC5 at this time? It seems gEDA in the
experimental extras area is a bit fragmented compared with the full gEDA
CD suite so I would not even know where to begin or start.

Dan