How to copy a Fedora system?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 8 08:16:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 23:12 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> So my query is: how exactly should one copy a Fedora system
> to another partition?

When I tried it, I used cp with the --preserve=all option.  However, I
didn't copy dynamically generated locations (like /dev/ or /proc/).  I
just made empty directories on the destination, for the system to
populate when it booted.  The only problem I recall was forgetting to
set the sticky bit on the new /tmp/ directory.  I don't recall having
problems copying "symlinks", either.  They seemed to be copied over as
new links.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.