Logwatch puzzles

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 09:27:16 UTC 2006

This box runs samba in order to serve up a public directory.  I'm seeing many
lines in Logwatch that do not appear in the main server Logwatch, and trying
to understand what is causing them.  I find this puzzling, for instance:

 nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_query_request(454)
process_name_query_request: Name query from 192.168.0.80 on subnet
192.168.0.70 for name LYDGATE.LAN<1d> : 91 Time(s)

192.168.0.70 is this box, and 192.168.0.80 was active for a considerable time
yesterday, but "on subnet 192.168.0.70" sounds odd?

There are other lines that seem to suggest that it is trying to connect to a
windows active domain.  There is a W2K box on the lan, for which I have no
access, so can't answer for its configuration, but again, I don't see any
such lines on the main server Logwatch.

Both boxes have Logwatch set to level Low.

I've tried googling, but although I've found dozens of entries with similar
phrases, none that I've read so far seem to fit my circumstances.  What I
really need now is some suggestions for troubleshooting this.  I know I could
just ignore them, but among all that crud there could be hiding something
that I need to see, but would miss.

Anne