How to copy a Fedora system?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 8 10:14:35 UTC 2006

Res wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 23:12 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> So my query is: how exactly should one copy a Fedora system
>>> to another partition?
>>
>> When I tried it, I used cp with the --preserve=all option.  However, I
>> didn't copy dynamically generated locations (like /dev/ or /proc/).  I
>
> /dev should be included in hte  cp -a as well, only /proc  should be
> exluded

Have you actually done this (with a system using udev)?
I did try that as my second attempt,
and while the system booted
it did not seem to do so properly.

I assumed that udev was confused,
since as I understand it,
a certain number of devices have to be created before udev starts,
but the rest are then left to udev to create, as needed.

Is it OK to create all the devices "by hand"?

In fact, is it OK to create a device that udev would otherwise create?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366