Starting shorewall

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 8 10:33:26 UTC 2006

Kevin Browne wrote:

> Have you edited /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf to set the line STARTUP=1,
> this enables shorewall to start on boot.

There isn't a line with STARTUP in my /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
(as installed by yum).

However, shorewall appears to start up without any errors;
but I cannot access the internet from other machines on my LAN.
I have to run "sudo service shorewall restart" after logging in,
and then all is well.

As I said, it is as though something run after /etc/rc.d/rc.local
turns shorewall off.

Actually, it is no burden to restart shorewall,
as I normally only re-boot this machine
when installing a new version of Fedora.
But I am interested to know why this occurs.
[I guess the shorewall mailing list is a better place to ask.]

Incidentally, when shorewall is left in its original position
in /etc/rc.d/rc.init it does not start up properly;
it has to wait for my wireless LAN to start up.
In this case I get a clear error message from shorewall.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366