Checking Dependencies

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sat Apr 8 20:05:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 15:48 -0400, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 20:40 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> > On 4/8/06, Jeffrey D. Yuille <jeffy5 at optonline.net> wrote:
> > >  Does anyone know the command for checking dependencies of a program before
> > > deleting it?  I didn't realize that after deleting a program (in this case,
> > > wpa_supplicant), other critical programs would be deleted as well.
> > > Fortunately, I was able to replace those dependencies but would prefer to
> > > avoid this problem in the future.
> >
> > Yum offers you the option of not removing anything after having listed
> > all dependencies.

>      How do I activate this option?

What Paul means, is that if you run "yum install package", yum will
automatically list what package(s) need to be installed to get this
package installed (which automatically includes it's dependencies).  It
will "ask" you to hit "y or n" to either install or not install the
packages.  This is the default behaviour of yum. As root, try it out as
an example and you will see for yourself.  You can remove stuff through
yum as well "yum remove pacakge".  man yum for more details.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"