creating custom kernel RPMs

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 8 21:14:31 UTC 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 9:59 pm, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:50:46PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the past, with FC4, I used the excellent page
> >
> >  http://home.swbell.net/kwgow/kernel/steps.html
> >
> > to create custom kernel rpms. I'm now running fc5 and want to do the
> > same, but this page no longer exists !!
> >
> > Unfortunately I do this rather infrequently, and also am not an expert,
> > so cannot remember exactly what I need to do without such a page.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a similar page (maybe it has moved elsewhere ?)
>
> Allow me to ask a question first: have you considered trying to get
> your custom modules included in kernel.org?  If it's useful for you,
> it may be useful for others.  See
> linux/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers and SubmittingPatches in the
> kernel source tree for pointers.

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.

For me, the problem is FC builds their kernels with agpgart built in, instead
of as a module (I don't know why, maybe a good reason).

For me, I am trying to get suspend working with the nvidia graphics drivers
(see a previous post from me) which MAY require me to use the nvidia AGP
driver instead of agpgart.  At the moment I am just experimenting.

If there is no good reason why agpgart is built in not a module, maybe this
could be changed ?

Chris