yum local repos first?

bill perkins perk at iag.net
Sun Apr 9 06:20:01 UTC 2006

>> You can also do as I did for FC4, i.e. use Smart Package Manager. Give
>> the Fedora Core and/or Extras higher priority than the auxiliary repos
>> and your problem should be minimized.
>>

> That looks interesting, and I'll look into it more.  Thanks!
>
> I used FC4 but FC5 is the first time I've used yum.  After
> all the good things I heard about it, I've got to say I'm a
> little disappointed.  It may be great for those with a fast
> internet connection but it seems like the designers totally
> blew off the people with slow or no internet connections.

I agree- I stick with the "official" fedora sites, and don't bother with
livna or any of the others, just core and extras.
What I would do (and did until recently) with a slow internet connection
is keep the upgrades to a minimum; being able to auto-update to the
"latest and greatest any and all the time" is nice, but I would focus on
whether or not the system is functioning properly, and whether or not
the system is as secure as I can make it.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.