Sound Issue in Fedora Core 5 with Asus P4R800-V Deluxe Built-in ADI 1888 Sound Card

Sam Chen dreamcarrior at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 09:14:08 UTC 2006

Dear all,
I installed Fedora Core 5 on a P4 3.00GHz with Asus P4R800-V Deluxe
motherboard. The installation went smoothly, however, I encountered
several problems. One of which is that the sound card could not be
correctly identified. The motherboard provides a built-in ADI 1888
sound card which has 5.1  SDPIF/Optical capability.  I googled for many
days trying to see if there is anyway to fix the problem, however,
there is only one thread saying it is doable. But the thread is in
French, which I don't understand. I have to state that the regular
jacks work great, but the SDPIF/Optical do not work at all. I intend to
use the system as the media center, and my amplifier only takes
optical/coaxial, so I would like to know if this problem can be fixed.
Thanks for your time!