realplayer no video fedora core 5 (not xvideo related)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 16:46:29 UTC 2006

Ian Malone wrote:
> Installed FC5 yesterday. For some reason RealPlayer won't play video,
> has anyone else seen this?  After discovering this I replaced my older
> version of RealPlayer with the current one from real.com with the same
> results.  Symptoms: BBC website video clips the RealPlayer logo stays
> in place, sound plays. Loading realplayer separately and pointing it
> at clips (including from the Real website), sound plays and it sizes
> as if it's playing an audio only file, resizing reveals the video
> window contains only the Real logo.
>
> Have tried with and without XVideo. Have tried with and without helix
> installed. Have tried installing from rpm and installing in
> /home/ian/opt/RealPlayer from .bin. (But not all combinations thereof)
>
> [ian at atlas ~]$ rpm -q compat-libstdc++-33
> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-55.fc5
>
> Helix player on Ogg/Theora works fine.

Silly me:
# setenforce 0

Disabling selinux also fixes problems I was having with xvidcore
and DVDRip.  And the atrpms nvidia package causing the window
manager start on login to fail (resulting in no window frames).

This time I'm just going to leave it off, all it's ever caused me
is trouble.

(Thanks to Stephen and Kam for suggestions though)

--
imalone