unknown partition type

dpeck no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 10 02:43:15 UTC 2006

> Dan wrote:
> It's far more likely that you're trying to boot the wrong partition. FC5
> uses ext3 by default, and GRUB has no problem with that filesystem. The
> boot line in your grub.conf suggest it's trying to boot from the first
> partition on the second hard drive. While in the grub prompt, type:
> geometry (hd1)
> to check if this is actually an ext3 partition (or even the right hard
> drive). Check (hd0) and see if you can recognize which is which. If hd0
> is the one you actually want to boot from, then try booting using
> (hd0,0) instead.
> good luck,
> -Dan

well i did that; according to grub the second hard drive appears as HD0. but FC5 is installed on hd1 not hd0.
it shows two partitions on the second hard drive.
1 ext3
2. unknown 0x7

Partition Magic shows this for hard drive #2:
1. ext3
2. Type 8E

Anyway...i reinstalled FC4, then used FC5 like an upgrade.
I can boot FC5 but only manually...at least it will boot now but when i want to boot the other OS i have to change boot priority.
i have a copy of SuSe on the way though...maybe the Suse install can correct this?

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=77248&topic_id=18843&forum=26#forumpost77248