[Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 10 05:16:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, John Wendel wrote:

> Food for thought,
>
> http://news.com.com/Negroponte+Slimmer+Linux+needed+for+100+laptop/2100-7346_3-6057456.html?tag=nefd.lede
>
> * BOSTON--The One Laptop Per Child organization will use Linux on its
> inexpensive machines, but the operating system suffers the same code bloat as
> Windows, the project's leader said Tuesday.*

Oddly enough this is a something I've been doing a lot of thinking about.
but of course oversimplicafication and blanket statements only go so fair.

Linux distro's tend to err on the side of completness. Striping all the
non-esential bits for a given use case can get you quite a long way in the
direction you want to be even before you start attacking shared
libraries and questionable software development practices... I got redhat
8 down to about about 300MB on a flash card with about two days of work
when I built a special purpose machine around a 486 based soekris board a
couple years ago.

My nokia 770 runs a 2.6 kernel, multiuser environment, xwindows, gtk+ and
a web browser and a couple shells, in 1/2 as much ram (64MB) and 1/4 as
much flash (128) as the $100 pc, all on a 200mhz arm to boot.

My laptop one the other hand has both gnome and kde, mono, java, vmware, a
complete development evironment, and at least three office suites in it.
It's not really the OS or the distro that's bloated it's my expectation of
completeness that led me to have all the crap installed... It's having 40
or 50 webpages in tabs averaging 200KB of objects on each one open, it's
driving a 1920x1200 display in 24 bit color on an intel shared memory
video chipset.

We have a benchmark for functionality that is basically all the stuff a
general purpose laptop/desktop can reasonably contain. Using existing
software and reduced expectations it's pretty easy to make a well featured
linux distro fit on a machine with 128MB of ram and 512MB of flash and
still have room left to grow.

To quote Antoine de Saint ExupÃry, "perfection is achieved not when I have
nothing left to add, but rather when I have nothing left to take away". Of
course that probably applies more accurately to a single artistic
expression then it does to a pile of mostly unrelated software. It can
still be adopted as a guiding principle for packaging software for
resource limited devices. To a very great extent the tools exist for linux
to do this already and the evidence of that can be found in all sorts of
embedded devices. There is a certain level of artistry that goes into
building the software to power a consumer device, and having the best
tools available to you is still no guarantee of success.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu