[Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Apr 10 15:41:56 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 00:05, John Wendel wrote:
>
>> Food for thought,
>>
>> http://news.com.com/Negroponte+Slimmer+Linux+needed+for+100+laptop/210
>> 0-7346_3-6057456.html?tag=nefd.lede
>>
>> * BOSTON--The One Laptop Per Child organization will use Linux on its
>> inexpensive machines, but the operating system suffers the same code
>> bloat as Windows, the project's leader said Tuesday.*
>>
>> "People aren't thinking about small, fast, thin systems," said
>> Nicholas Negroponte, chairman of the One Laptop Per Child
>> <http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Flaptop.org%2F&siteId=3&o
>> Id=2100-7346-6057456&ontId=1001&lop=nl.ex> nonprofit association, in a
>> speech at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo
>> <http://news.com.com/LinuxWorld+not+just+for+Linux+fans+anymore/2009-
>> 7346_3-6056446.html?tag=nl> here. "Suddenly it's like a very fat
>> person (who) uses most of the energy to move the fat. And Linux is no
>> exception. Linux has gotten fat, too."
>>
>> Regards,
>> John
>>

> Well, he could put cp-m on them I suppose, or freedos maybe...
> Talk about setting the 3rd world back to the stone age.

It's only fat from the general user standpoint.  Anyone with ANY sense
can slim it up to virtually nothing but their own personal essentials.
[Real flame bait ahead!]  Which is why I've become a big fan of gentoo.
I don't think I could build a tighter setup for myself with any other
OS.  OTOH, it does take a while to compile everything, so I use FC for
the machines I am not so keen on compiling everything.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415