I can't resolve from the command line but I can from a browser.

Andrew fedora at tolboe.org
Mon Apr 10 17:23:18 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> This makes no sense to me.  I can go to www.yahoo.com in a browser
>> but I can't ping yahoo.com and nothing on my network blocks pings or
>> yahoo.com.  I also can't ping local hosts in my hosts list but I can
>> ping their ip address.  This is a fedora core 5 install and
>> everything was working fine untill i ran yum update.   Something else
>> thats odd, ping does not say that it has failed or can't connect, it
>> just hangs untill I break it.  I also tried putting a nfs entry in my
>> fstab and that wont mount either (it uses a host name instead of a ip
>> address).
>>
>> Here is my resolv.conf
>> ------
>> search sondermuell
>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>> nameserver 216.231.41.2
>> nameserver 66.93.87.2
>> ------
>
> Check the "hosts" entry in your /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> Paul.

I have

hosts:      files ldap dns

and I am pulling some of my hosts from ldap.  And now that I try
removing ldap from my hosts list it all works ok.  But why is it doing
that?  I have another linux box using a different distro and everything
works ok pulling hosts from the ldap server.  Also when I do getent
hosts I get a full list of all of my hosts (including the list from
ldap).  So why is getent working but it breaks when I try to resolve one
of those hosts in ldap?

Thanks for your time.
-Andrew