ldap and hosts

Andrew fedora at tolboe.org
Mon Apr 10 21:17:28 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

I have a ldap server running on another distro and I use it for a lot of
different things (such as users, passwords, and hosts) and it all works
fine on that distro.  I'm also trying to get all of this to work in FC5
and so far I have gotten users and passwords to work but the hosts is
giving me problems.  If I type getent hosts I see the complete list of
hosts as it should be but if I try to ping one of the hosts it just
hangs.  If I try to ping the ip address everything works fine.  I should
also note that I can't ping domain's either (such as yahoo.com) again it
just hangs but if I use a browser I can browse to them.  On another
note, when I type getent hosts in the ldap console i can see the query
but when I try to ping a single domain I see nothing in the ldap
console, not even an attempt.

Thanks for your time
-Andrew