mkinitrd fails - Permission denied

Jack Holden jeholden-linux at starband.net
Mon Apr 10 23:13:01 UTC 2006

Dan wrote:
> Jack Holden wrote:
>> I am running FC5 with the 2.6.15-1.2054 kernel and mkinitrd-5.0.32.
>> When I try to create a new initrd, mkinitrd fails with the error:
>>     /sbin/mkinitrd: line 975: initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.TEST.img
>> Permission denied
>> I've tried using different file names with the same result.  I've also
>> tried when logged in as root from the initial login (boot level 3) as
>> well as via su from both the cli and xterm.  Same thing.  I've also
>> tried building the initrd in the /boot and /root directories.
>>
>> I believe that this is the version of mkinitrd that was included with
>> the installation.  I have updated everything via yum update, but I
>> can't run the 2.6.16-2080 kernel yet (problem with dmraid).  I have
>> the source packages for 2.6.15-2054 and 2.6.16-2080 installed.  I have
>> successfully created initrd's before with this system, but I can't
>> remember if it was before or after yum update.  (I think it was after
>> because it was an attempt to fix the dmraid problem with 2.6.16-2080.)
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a fix or something to look at?  I've looked at
>> mkinitrd and didn't see anything alarming about line 975.  I
>> appreciate any advice.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jack Holden
>>
> Perhaps an SELinux issue. I don't know how to use it so check the vast
> numbers of posts on this list about fixing those issues. Look in your
> logs for avc denied messages.
> -Dan

The suggestions I've gotten so far:

1 - Is /boot mounted as read only?
I hate to admit this, but I don't set my systems up with separate
partitions.  Everything is mounted under / (except SWAP).  The file
system is mounted as read + write, and I've tried making the initrd in
/root and /boot with the same results.

2 - Could it be an SELinux problem?
It's possible.  I'm not much of an SELinux expert.  However, I disabled
SELinux during the initial installation, and I think it's still
disabled.  I checked the config file in /etc/selinux and it still
appears to be disabled.

Is anyone else having this problem?  TIA.

Thanks,
Jack Holden