'yum --enablerepo' command (Newbie).

Brian Durant brian at durant.dk
Tue Apr 11 08:18:53 UTC 2006

Dan wrote:

> Brian Durant wrote:
>
>> I am a Fedora Core 5 PPC64 user and am curious about the 'yum
>> --enablerepo' command. If I wanted to run 'yum --enablerepo=atrpms
>> install w32codec' would yum be able to sort out whether there was a
>> PPC or PPC64 version of "w32codec" or not? Do all repositories also
>> have PPC and PPC64 versions or are there only certain repositories
>> that contain PPC and PPC64 versions, like FreshRPMS?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Brian
>>
> I'm not sure I fully understand the question. --enablerepo won't place
> any priority on the listed repository(s), it will just enable it if it
> is disabled in the appropriate repo file. Similarly, --disablerepo
> will cause a repository to be disabled for the duration of the
> command. Enabling a repo that is already enabled won't do anything,
> AFAIK.
> -Dan

Thanks for replying, Dan. I thought --enablerepo adds new repositories.
No? If it doesn't do that, then I have two questions:

1) Where is the file located that you add repositories to?
2) If I stumble across or find a FAQ about how to get "x" eller "y" lib,
program, etc. can I follow those instructions and let yum sort out
whether a ppc or ppc64 version is available, or do I have to specify
some sort of syntax when adding repositories so that yum can sort out if
there is ppc or ppc64 version?

These questions are very important for ppc users as there doesn't seem
to be a lot of FAQ's, HowTo's, etc. that are specifica to FC5 and the
ppc platform. A typical question in this area is exactly, as was
mentioned by another poster to my thread:

 > AFAIK, the "w32codec" package contains DLLs taken from Windows, which
 > are executable i386 files.  They're only going to be available for i386
 > platforms.

Cheers,

Brian