I can't run SWAT. Asking for help.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 16:27:13 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 17:17, Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:10 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 15:35, Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
> > > One more thing: "chkconfig swat on" enables loading this process at the
> > > start up? If no, how do I enable it?
> >
> > chkconfig --list swat
> >
> > will return something like
> >
> > swat          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:off   5:on    6:off
> >
> > If you have 'on' for at least levels 3 and 5 you don't need anything
> > else.  If everything shows 'off' just do
> >
> > chkdonfig --levels 345 swat
> >
> > and that should do the trick.
> >
> > Anne
> > --
>
> What do these levels mean?

You need someone more technical than I am to give you the definitive answer.
The ones that concern you most are level 3, which is text only mode, and
level 5, which is graphical mode.  Outside 3 and 5 the levels are used for
specific admin purposes, where you would not want to be running lots of
multimedia packages for instance, so enabling 3-5 works for most of the
things you will want to do.

Sorry the answer's a bit vague.  I'm sure someone will define more precisely.

Anne