OT: Hardware opinions sought

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:07:38 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 10:22, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > I can't say much here myself. However, it depends on the animation
> software
> > that is going to be used. But graphics, eps. graphics development is
> always
> > going to be CPU and GPU intensive.
> >
> Since graphics are not such a big deal to me, I haven't been keeping an
> eye on
> the issues.  I know that PCI Express was tipped to be something to watch,
> but
> that was a good while ago.  Since I haven't seen much mention of it
> recently
> I wondered if it was another thing that hadn't lived up to the
> promise.  The
> last thing I want to do is spend a couple of hundred pounds only to find
> that
> an agp card with lower ram would have done the same job.

Well I am no graphics nut myself. But I try to keepup with all genres of
tech, and to the best of my understanding PCI-E is to AGP what AGP is to
PCI. So a well reviewed PCI-E card should be a sound buy. I generally check
http://reviews.cnet.com/ when investigating purchase of tech hardware that I
am not too familiar with.

Peace.