Login scripts?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 12 17:04:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 15:47 +0200, Tomas Larsson wrote:
> Yes, the chars are placed at the same place, but UTF8 uses two bytes
> to represent the char, when ISO8859 uses one byte, for the lower 256
> bytes.

I finally got my hands on a document explaining this, it might have
helped if I could have got the Unicode site to load yesterday, but the
network said "no".  :-\  The Wikipedia page I referred to that did load
was a little scant in precise descriptions.

In ASCII, characters 0 to 127;
and in ISO-8859-1, characters 0 to 127;
and in UTF-8, characters 0 to 127,
are all the same characters, and are all represented by the same
bytecodes.

e.g. The letter A is character 65 in all of them.

But once you get above 127, they differ:

ASCII *ONLY* covers 0 to 127.  If it has characters higher than 127,
it's not "ASCII".

ISO-8859-1 encodes characters 0 to 255 in eight bits directly (character
number 214 is represented by the value 214).

UTF-8 starts using its special multi-byte scheme from 128 upwards, below
that it refers to them directly (e.g. character 90 is represented by the
value 90).               (This differs with what I've read before.)

While the 214th character is the same character in both ISO-8859-1 and
UTF-8, the *code* used to represent it is different in both (it's "214"
in ISO-8859-1, but the codes 0xC3 0x96 in conjunction for UTF-8).

> Since MYSQL is using the system settings, when inputting a Ö it was
> transformed to the 2-byte UTF8 format.

One would hope that you could specify what system for the database to
use, regardless of the host OS, as a database may be used between
numerous different computers.  Presuming they all ran the same would
lead to errors.

I read messages from the public lists.