Corrupted Desktop Icons

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Wed Apr 12 22:48:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:52 +0100, Leon wrote:

> "Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5 at optonline.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:19 +0100, Leon wrote:
> >
> >     "Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5 at optonline.net> writes:
> >
> >     > Hello,
> >     >
> >     >      I just booted to the desktop in FC5 and I see that all of my
> >     > desktop icons have become corrupted (except for the home, computer,
> >     > and trash icons).  When I click on one of them, there is a message
> >     > that says "Cannot open (program).... The filename (program) indicates
> >     > that this file is of type 'desktop document'.  The contents of the
> >     > file indicate that the file is of type 'desktop configuration file. '
> >     > If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your
> >     > system. "  How do I restore the desktop icons (shortcuts)?  I recall
> >     > in the past that I had a similar problem where there was a hidden
> >     > directory which had to be deleted and the computer rebooted in order
> >     > to restore the desktop.  Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >     Try with a new user account.
> >
> >     --
> >     Leon
> >
> >      Do you mean that I should create a new account from the current one I have now or should I create a separate account?  I understand that
> > there is a hidden file which would allow me to duplicate my desktop once I log out and log in again.
>

> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> Did you install or upgrade to fc5? If you upgrade from previous fc
> release to fc5, very likely you will have problems with gnome. To be
> honest there are a few minor bugs for gnome 2.14.
>
> My suggestion is you create a new user account to see if you have the
> same issue. My FC5 works fine but I did a fresh install.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Leon

     Hello Leon,

      I did a fresh install of FC5.  Gnome is working fine, except for
the fact that the home directory is not left in the same place upon
reboot.  I also saw that a bug was filed with Bugzilla.  I created
another user account (not a duplicate of my own) and upon reboot, the
desktop home directory was found below the other icons.