SMP and NTPD

Eric Mader emader at icu-project.org
Thu Apr 13 00:14:51 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp on an AMD64 x2 system. A couple
of days ago I noticed that NTPD wasn't keep time very well. I did some
investigating and found out that the jitter from the time servers kept
going up and up - after an hour the jitter will be several seconds.

As an experiment, I tried running the non-smp kernel, and NTPD was able
to keep rock-solid sync. After more than an hour, the jitter was only a
few milliseconds.

I'm guessing that this points to some problem w/ the SMP kernel. Can
anybody confirm this, or suggest what else the problem might be?

My system:
ASUS A8V Delux
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1 GM memory (512 MB x 2)
WD1200JJ (w/ Windows XP x64)
WD400BB (w/ FC4)
NEC DVD RW 3520A
TDK CDRW 5200B
NVidia GeForce 6600 (ASUS brand)
Samsung SyncMaster 204T (connected through a DVI KVM)
USB Keyboard and mouse (connected through KVM)

Regards,
Eric Mader