FC3: ulimit -i Problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Apr 13 10:02:15 UTC 2006

Eder, Norbert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a normal PC with FC3 installed.
>
> For user root, I can modify the "ulimit -i" (pending signals)  to 65536.
> But for a other user, I can't set this.
>
> When I modify /etc/profile, to set this in general, I get following
> error, when I login as user en021245:
..
> [en021245 at pc-6] ~> ulimit -i 2222
> bash: ulimit: pending signals: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
> [en021245 at pc-6] ~>

Sounds like selinux.  Try setting it to permissive temporarily and see
if you suddenly have these capabilities as your normal user.
/etc/profile runs as your normal user privs so doing it there generating
errors is no more surprising than not being able to do it at the
commandline as that user.

-Andy