Video editing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 13 19:54:05 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 13:33, John Wendel wrote:
>Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-10-04 at 13:01 -0500, J. K. Cliburn wrote:
>>>On 4/10/06, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com> wrote:
>>>If it's the thin line at the very bottom, it'll be below the
>>> viewable region of your television screen when you play the video.
>>> You won't be able to see it.
>>
>> I forgot about that - thanks for reminding me.  But, I'm looking to
>> create DVDs and keep AVIs (or whatever) saved on a media server.
>> Watching the videos on a computer screen, CRT or LCD, will mean I'll
>> be able to see the distortion.  I'd rather it wasn't there at all.
>>
>> That being said, I'm starting to ignore the thin strip, so maybe
>> I'll leave it in.
>>
>> Thanks for replying.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ranbir
>
>Not really a hi-tech solution, but I always fix this problem by taping
>a piece of black cardboard across the bottom of the monitor or TV.
>
>Regards,
>
>John

Thats the head switching point, and the video from the head just coming
onto the tape isn't synchronized to that of the opposite head leaving
the tape, hence the blur as the digital circuitry in todays vcr's
scramble to play catchup.

Back when broadcasters were using the u-matic format, the consumer
grades of that stuff did that too, but it didn't take us techs long to
find the programming jumper pin on the system synch chip and set that
head switch point fwd 3-6 lines, putting it down into the vertical
interval and truely out of sight.  I've absolutely NDI if similar
cheats can be done to the $50 vcr's being sold out of the warehouses
today.  When I was refering to consumer grade, like the Sony 2800's, I
was arbitrarily drawing a line at the about $6k mark as the broadcast
stuff for 5 to 10 grand more, already had it moved out of sight.
Selling point you understand...  But it was the same chipset, with
marginally better mechanics wrapped around it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: