How to install the Nvidia driver in Fedora Core 5 ?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Apr 13 23:47:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 22:32 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
>
>> My card is TNT2 M64 and only 7174 (legacy) can work and no module
>> found  in rpm.livna.org . It also failed to build....
>>
>> Would someone tell me how to do or where to get the module ??
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Wong Kwok Hon
>>

> Best thing to do is to make sure that kernel-devel is installed and then
> download your driver from here:
>
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8756/NVIDIA-Linux-
> x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run
>
> You should read the directions on the page before you install:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html
>
> I followed the TNT2 links and those urls are what I got.  The installer
> now features an editor which will automatically edit your xorg.conf file
> if you want.
>
> If these new drivers still dont' work for you, then you will be stuck
> searching the internet for a 7174 version of the Nvidia packaged
> drivers.

The older versions of the nVIDIA driver do not work with the kernel that
comes with FC5.

There is a new version of the nVIDIA driver that builds correctly without
patches on FC5.  It was released just a few days ago, so you may need to
grab the new one.  It is also supposed to fix some issues with suspend as
well, as well as a few other bugs.

Also make sure you are not running X when you try to build the nVIDIA
driver.  It does not like that for some reason.

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis