Video editing & OT by now...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 14 04:14:30 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 19:37, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Thu April 13 2006 3:54 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Thats the head switching point, and the video from the head just
>> coming onto the tape isn't synchronized to that of the opposite head
>> leaving the tape, hence the blur as the digital circuitry in todays
>> vcr's scramble to play catchup.
>>
>> Back when broadcasters were using the u-matic format,
>
>I'm one of those (broadcaster/editor/producer/etc..), and I still keep
> a BVU800 in the rack for legacy archive tapes - we have too many to
> transfer to newer formats. I've transferred anything that was
> "can't-lose", but the rest is dependent on that old 800 - now, you
> wouldn't remember where that "programming jumper pin" was on the 800,
> would you? Oh, never mind -- I'm afraid if I move that behemoth,
> it'll break.... '-)

Nah, its a hocky puck, Claude.  The only thing that will break is your
back since its about 65 lbs.  In its day I expect I carried one of them
100 miles or more, 100 feet at a time to-from the workbench.

Besides, the bvu-800 already has it set right so the head switch is
about 1 to 2 lines into the vertical interval.  If you are seeing the
switchpoint, its the src tape thats out of time when it was recorded.
That switchpoint is controlled during the record process, not the
playback.

However, I expect by now that thing is probably due for a complete
on up.  Not to mention the loading arm that pulls the tape out of the
cartridge is probably fubar too.  I rebuilt one for one last trip
before I retired in 2002, and as the usage has faded away, its managed
to last till now so far, but I can remember doing it at least annually
for all 15 of them we had at one time.  Kept me right busy.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: