Kernel Build Error - *** No rule to make target `init/main.o'

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Fri Apr 14 13:48:18 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 6:31 pm, Dennis Seguirant wrote:
> I am unable to build a new kernel using source for FC4. I am running on a
> single processor Sony VAIO system using an AMD 1400 Athlon with 512 MB RAM.
> I am trying to build the kernel from /usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

snip
> HOSTCC scripts/pnmtologo
> HOSTCC scripts/conmakehash
> scripts/conmakehash.c: In function ‘getunicode’:
> scripts/conmakehash.c:36: warning: pointer targets in initialization
> differ in signedness
> scripts/conmakehash.c:44: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ
> in signedness
> scripts/conmakehash.c:45: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1
> of ‘strtol’ differ in signedness
> HOSTCC scripts/bin2c
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by
> `init/built-in.o'. Stop.
> make: *** [init] Error 2
>_SMP)" "$(CC) $(CFLAGS)"
>
> Thanks
Look like the .config or make files might be missing or changed. The kernel
may also be improperly configured.  I couldn't tell without reading/checking
the files (which I don't have on my machine), and this may not be conclusive.

I would suggest getting a newer kernel source and compiling from that source
since many bugs and security holes have been fixed, and this should/would
remove the doubt of missing or bad files.

--
Some people have convictions.
Some people have opinions