OT: ADSL safe practices and setting up a home network

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 14 17:56:51 UTC 2006

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:47:05AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>>No snooping if you lock it down.
>>
>>I don't know what you mean by "lock it down", as that has no
>

> You could use a VPN over a WLAN, for instance. You could
> firewall off the LAN part, and just run the AP in the untrusted DMZ.
> You could run it open or stealthy the SSID, lock down by
> MAC, use the newer crypto protocols, etc.

That was my point. There is no definition, there are many
things it might have meant.

[snip]

>>wireless router was on sale, so I got it. I didn't get it
>>to use it as a router, but as a firewall. I only keep one
>>machine plugged into it. I'd prefer not to have a wireless
>>router at all.
>
> Speaking about consumer firewall bashing -- most of them
> are truly broken. However, for those of them which are based
> on Linux there's always a chance of using an alternative firmware

Eh? Alternative firmware? Interesting.

Anyway, on the WAN side my router is completely stealth except for
the e-mail challenge port, which is closed. I have verified this
from outside my premises.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.