pirut aggravations

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:17:37 UTC 2006

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> So I'm spending about a man-day of my quality time klicking on
> these pirut package checkboxes (while all I need is the install-everything
> button, or at least meaningful selectable package clusters which aren't
> mutex on dependencies -- there are not very much such clusters, btw).
>
> Turnaround time of an update is some 10-15 minutes.
>
> I try to do one letter of the alphabet at a time. I'm
> not succeeding, though, see below.
>
> Startup time is an eternity. The damn thing should cache,
> and only refresh from the depositories, if explicitly
> asked to by user. I'm not sure it's deleting already downloaded packages
> by default as some others have reported -- if it does
> that, it shouldn't.

Well, there at least should be an option for it, as in yumex. Took about
a minute to start up just now after I cleaned my yum metadata, usually
takes less, perhaps it does save metadata. In my experience, it
definitely is deleting downloaded packages, which should also be an
option, as in yumex.
> Clicking on checkboxes takes forever to register.
> Athlon 64 2 GHz with nVidia accelerated drivers might be
> not a speed demon, but this is just unacceptable.

Don't have that problem on my Pent M 2GHz or A64 2GHz. Weird. Do you
have an old graphics card? Though still shouldn't be a problem.
> Unchecking boxes when there's a conflict doesn't
> result in a rollback. This is a *major bug*. It
> requires me to memorize the conflicts, and quit
> and restart the package from scratch. This is
> by far the biggest baddest bug in pirut, so
> it needs fixing first.

Agreed, it needs work on its conflict handling.
> The conflicts are frequently inconsistent on restarts.
> Whether this is due to package mirror inconsistencies,
> it should not be my problem.
>
> When you're done, pirut just quits. So I have to wait
> another 10 min for a new startup. Wrong behaviour, please
> fix.

I believe this is already in the works for the next update of pirut.
> If this wasn't for above behaviour (which totally drives
> me up the wall), it would be a totally sweet tool.

As I've noted above, give yumex a try, it's much further along in
development, you might like it better. Takes a lot longer to read in the
metadata though, cause it is very meticulous, but at least 0.99 is a lot
more streamlined graphically than 0.44 was. And you can always turn off
the refresh at startup.
-Dan