Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 03:05:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 12:08 -0400, Debbie Deutsch wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for your help so far.  I have experimented similar
> to what was suggested.  Like Mike, I now believe the problem has
> something to do with X.

Has this machine done any updates or is this the original binaries off
of the FC5 install cds?

> Here is what I tried.  Instead of typing a boot command, I used the
> "type I to enter interactive mode" feature during boot.  I tried this
> twice.  One time I said "no" to starting avahi-daemon.  The other time I
> said "no" to starting the first-time boot service.  (I have noticed that
> that always runs, even when it is not the first boot after install.  At
> least that's the case on my other FC5 machine.)  Anyway, the results were:
>
> - not running the avahi-daemon didn't change anything.  The system hung
> at the same point with the same blank grayish-blue screen.
>
> - not starting the first time boot service did let boot get past the
> avahi-daemon.  However it did not fix the problem.  It eventually did
> hang with a (mostly) blank grayish-blue screen that had junk in a narrow
> band across the top.
>
> Based on this, I am thinking the problem has something to do with X.
> The strange thing is that I have no problems with the same monitor and
> display settings when I use my other FC5 machine that has an nVidia
> nForce4 chipset.  (That machine is still on the original kernel that
> came with the FC5 distro because of a dmraid bug, so it still has the
> original driver that came with the distro, not the updated nVidia
> driver.)  OTOH, I am not seeing any reports of problems with the Intel
> chipset that is in this system.  Also, this monitor has worked perfectly
> with FC4 and FC3.  I am thinking that maybe my next step should be to go
> into rescue mode and try to see what the config file says about my video
> adaptor and monitor.  It can't hurt.  If that doesn't reveal the
> problem, I just may try reinstalling and see what happens if I don't
> change SELinux and don't change the monitor settings.

Given the information you have gathered up to this point, I would put
the machine in runlevel 3 and then start experimenting with different X
resolutions.  Unless that is the machine has gone thru updating.

> Debbie
>
> P.S. I am going through a KVM switch to share the monitor among
> machines.  That has not been an issue for FC3, FC4, or FC5 on my other
> Linux box.

LX
--
Missiles of ligneous or osteal consistency have the