Cups printer config.

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 15 13:44:46 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

> If you follow the links through the Software tab to the FAQ, though, it
> does specifically say that you must be root to do any admin work.

OK, I've accessed CUPS on a remote machine on my little LAN
by going to <http://alfred:631/admin>
and a window opens asking me

Enter username and password for "CUPS" at alfred:631

First I try a random name "squiggle" and password,
which it does not accept.
(The window re-appears.)
So I give my username and password on this remote machine,
which is accepted.

Now I click on Add a printer
and enter details for a printer "colour" which I wish I had.
(The only printer I actually have is an ancient HP LaserJet 5L.)
My new (mythical) printer is a DesignJet 3500C.

I'm told that 'Printer "colour" has been added successfully'.

Now I go (physically) to the remote machine,
and go to <http://localhost:631/admin>,
and find that a printer "colour" _has_ actually been added
to those available on this machine.

I am able to send a test-page to this mythical printer,
but not surprisingly, nothing appears.

Somewhere, in a machine in Dublin, Ohio,
the SysAdmin was surprised to see a test-page
coming out of his brand-new DesignJet 3500C ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366