Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration

Debbie Deutsch fedoralist at ddeutsch.org
Sat Apr 15 19:30:28 UTC 2006

Tod Merley wrote:

> Hi Debbie!
>
> If it were me I would be doing the following:
>
> 1. Obtain the technical specifications on the monitor from the web.
> 2. Boot Linux (from CD) into rescue mode and print (or copy the monitor,
> display sections) of  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> 3. Might be well to do a "man xorg.conf" on a working linux machine.
> Anyway check specifically the resolution and horizonal and vertical
> timeing to be within that which the monitor will be happy with.  A
> possible easier way may be to boot a Knoppix CD and copy what it comes
> up with.  Your monitor may well be in the list that Fedora has during
> setup.  I do not recall the setup utility name (perhaps Craig White has
> provided this) but with the monitor info you may well be able to select
> the best xorg.conf by selecting your specific monitor from the setup
> facility.
>
> All above done should eliminate X as a possible cause.  It is my first
> guess.
>
> Good Hunting!
>
> Tod

Thanks!  That sound like the right file to check.  I can compare it
against the FC5 installation on a different system that I have that uses
the same monitor.  If there is an inexplicable difference, that would
probably be the cause.  If the conf files match, then X is eliminated as
a source of the problem.

(The other system is also a 64-bit system.  The on-board chipsets are
different, though.)

Debbie