How to make yum seek alternative repository?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sat Apr 15 19:57:42 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 14:33 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Matt England wrote:
> > My software development project wants to release .rpm packages via
> > its own yum repository (we don't yet know exactly how to set up a
> > yum repo, but we're assumign this is documented somewhere...and that
> > we can make a repo with *only* our project's .rpms and not have to
> > server others...if not let us know?).
> >
> > However, I don't know how to tell our users to point their yum
> > command to our repos while still inheriting the capability of the
> > "standard" redhat/fedora yum repos for the package dependencies that
> > we will have (eg, libc, Boost libraries, etc).
>
> Take a look at how repos like Livna handle this.  They create a
> release rpm which contains the proper .repo file.  Users just install
> this and the repo is ready to go.

Either create an rpm file that users can do a quick rpm install with, or
send them a copy of the .repo file to copy to their /etc/yum.repos.d/
directory.

Once they have that (it needs to be enabled as well), and do a yum
install or upgrade pacakage, it will check for your package as well as
the main Fedora repos for any dependencies and automatically install
them.

Mike