pm-utils, Thinkpad

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 15 23:33:17 UTC 2006

A couple of questions about pm-utils:

Is there any documentation anywhere for pm-utils?

I have a Thinkpad T41 with Radeon Mobility 7500.  Suspend to RAM worked
out of the box, but hibernate-to-disk did not.  It saved and turned off
with no apparent problem, but on resume I see a corrupted VC (no X) and
the machine is unresponsive.  Anybody seem similar behavior?  Any
suggestions for troubleshooting?

Before, with the usual ACPI subsystem (/etc/acpi/events and
/etc/acpi/actions), I was able to get the Thinkpad buttons working.  I
installed the tpb RPM (Thinkpad buttons).  Then I enabled hotkeys in
/etc/rc.local or /etc/sysconfig/modules/.  Then I created events and
actions for the buttons (Fn-F3 toggles the backlight, Fn-F4 suspends to
RAM, Fn-F5 does something, Fn-F7 toggles the external display, could
have Fn-F12 hibernate but it never worked with earlier Fedoras).  Is
there a new way to accomplish the non-suspend actions with the pm-utils,
or is the old way still the "right" way?

Thanks.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences