Can anyone explain the use of init3

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 06:41:50 UTC 2006

Javier Perez wrote:
> Init 3 usually starts linux in a non-graphical environment
>
> It is very useful to troubleshoot X problems.
>
> Javier
>

> On 4/16/06, *sujit sugathan* <sujitsugathan2002 at gmail.com
> <mailto:sujitsugathan2002 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi everyone
>     I've this question nagging me for sometime.Can anyone explain to
>     me how and why the command init3 is used.
>     thanks
>     --
>     sujit
>
>     --
>

> --
> ------------------------------
> /\_/\
> |O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com <mailto:pepebuho at pananet.com>
> ~~~~ Javier Perez
> ~~~~   While the night runs
> ~~~~   toward the day...
>   m m   Pepebuho watches
>     from his high perch.
This is to use runlevel 3. There are five main runlevels used:
Runlevel 0: Shuts down. Not very useful to boot into.
Runlevel 1: Single-user mode, you are automatically root user (hence why
if someone has physical access to a computer and can edit the boot
arguments, they can change the root password)
Runlevel 3: Text multi-user mode
Runlevel 5: Graphical multi-user mode; default, and most people use this.
Runlevel 6: Restarts. Again, not very useful to boot into.
-Dan