MySQL: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Can't find file: 'host'

Pierre Sarrazin sarrazip at sarrazip.com
Sun Apr 16 15:50:04 UTC 2006

Hi.  I have upgraded my system from Fedora 3 to 5 and this seems
to have triggered an automatic upgrade from MySQL 4 to 5.  The MySQL
server does not start anymore.

I saw that I had RPMs for both MySQL 4 and 5, so I uninstalled
them all and reinstalled only those for version 5 (from the Fedora
5 RPMs).  I also gave the command "mysql_install_db", following a
tip I found on some site.  That may have been a mistake...

The command "service mysqld start" now says this:

Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]

Then the file /var/log/mysqld.log says this:

060416 11:40:40  mysqld started
060416 11:40:40  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files...
InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite
InnoDB: buffer...
060416 11:40:40  InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 1302290.
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 1302290
InnoDB: Last MySQL binlog file position 0 27860, file name ./elise-bin.249
060416 11:40:40  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 1302290
060416 11:40:40 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Can't find file: 'host' (errno: 2)
060416 11:40:40  mysqld ended

Where do I go from here?  Is there a more appropriate mailing list
for this?

I currently have these RPMs:

mysql-5.0.18-2.1
mysql-devel-5.0.18-2.1
mysql-server-5.0.18-2.1

Thanks.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip at sarrazip dot com>