FC5 mounting issue with cdrom, dvd and usb memory stick.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 16 16:14:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 17:14 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>  From previous messages I learn that cd's and dvd's are mounted on
> /media/{volume.name} but when I insert my cd's the only thing I see is
> a desktop icon named "Audio Disc" and there is no mounting on /media
> and I have no way of playing my cd's.

Data CDs are mounted to read their files, compact audio CDs (CDDA)
aren't; they don't have a file system.  But CDs with music files, like
MP3s or oggs are data discs, they need mounting.

An audio player will access CDDA discs directly.  I have used Xine to
play audio discs, but I found it an extremely painfully slow thing to
get to do them.  Other players seem less cumbersome for such a simple
task.

>  When I insert a dvd the desktop icon is called "DVD-ROM Disc"
> and likewise no /media mount. I am, however, able to play my movies
> using the command line: gxine dvd:/ but I can't get xine to recognise
> the audio cd's.

DVDs are used like data discs (they have real files on them), though I
don't think you have to mount them.  For example, mplayer will play
DVD-video discs whether mounted or not.

I read messages from the public lists.