Fedora Core 5 + WinXP Pro

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 16 21:16:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 21:27 +0100, Adam Tunbridge wrote:
> I get the feeling dual-boot systems are a /dirty /subject round here but
> needs must I'm afraid. Right, I'm having issues loading Fedora Core 5. I
> have 2 hard-drives:
>
> 80GB  (we'll call this /D1/)
> 100GB (we'll call this /D2/)
>
> I started by installing WinXP on /D1/. Then I installed Fedora on /D2,
> /using GRUB on the MBR of /D1/. This didn't work.  My system just booted
> straight into XP. Then I tried the same but installed GRUB on the first
> sector of /D2/. Same result. Now I've just tried the same install but
> *without *installing GRUB and tried Acronis OS Selector instead. This
> wouldn't event detect the existence of Fedora. I'm a complete noob when
> it comes to Linux (Well, partial noob really. Read a few books) so
> please explain what I'm doing wrong in moderately simple terms.
This has been discussed a great deal lately. If /D1/ is the first master
that is where the grub install should go. Windows likes to be on the
first disk of the sequence (hda for example).

You installing Windows was the way to go. Show us your grub.conf file
and your device.map file and maybe some light will dawn. Also the actual
device designation instead of your Labels would be useful.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>