Whatever happened to /etc/pcmcia/config in FC-5?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Apr 16 22:31:17 UTC 2006

Patrick Boutilier wrote:

>> I upgraded from FC-4 to FC-5 on one machine,
>> and the pcmcia card was not found until I replaced the config file.
>> On the other hand a machine running a new FC-5 installation
>> seems fine without the config file.
>>
>> Is this change documented somewhere?

> There are some pcmcia changes referred to in the release notes:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/release-notes-ISO/

Indeed.
I discovered this reference,
and the "Linux Kernel 2.6 PCMCIA - mini-HOWTO" at
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html>
which explained the rather dramatic changes in the PCMCIA setup.

After chkconfig-ing pcmcia off, installing sysfsutils
and restarting the network, WiFi worked fine,
if anything better than before.

The only slight puzzle that remains
is that it seems one has to put all the information required by WiFi -
the ESSID, WEP key, etc, have to be put
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2 .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366