Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 17 06:16:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 10:56:00PM -0400, William Case wrote:

> This is the core question.  Which distro is the prettiest.  I am not

Apple OS X. Linux doesn't even come close. The largest deficit
is fonts -- nothing even approaching ClearType here. And hardware
acceleration like Aqua, though that might be slowly coming
(I can't try it, since it's not yet in x86_64).

> being trivial or sarcastic.  People do judge a book by its cover.  Even

Me neither. I run Sarge on the servers, FC5 x86_64 on the AMD64 64 desktop
(haven't booted into XP in a while, and if dvdshrink runs
on WINE as purported unlikely I will -- for everything else
there is VMWare) and OS X (iBook G4).

(After Amstrad CPC-464 my second computer I owned was the Amiga 2000
and then a Linux PC, so my excursions into proprietary land (Redmond
and Cupertino) are reasonably recent).

> while they are trying to show themselves as hard bitten,
> give-me-the-performance, professionals.
>
> I would love to see some real artists added to the development teams of
> distributions, desktops and applications.  That would blow Microsoft and
> even Apple right out of the water.

The reason Apple looks that way is because they hire top talent
in design and usability. Such talent is scarce, so no wonder FLOSS
looks rough around the edges.