partition management in linux

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 17 11:59:21 UTC 2006

on 04/17/2006 07:53 AM Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> --
> Well this seems like a job for a backup system. Yoi don't say what the
> sizes of the partitions are nor whether emply menas of size reated thasn
> zero but without contents.

this is 200GB drive.
vfat partition size is 32Gb (the maximum windows is capable to work with).
ext3 is the rest. And the latter one is ~80% full.

> Anyway the obvious thing to do if your drive is of manageable size ( 1
> terabyte for example) is to backup the data in the ext3 partition ,
> repartition and bring the data back. But that ios so obvious I assume
> your ext3 partition is humongous. Is that true?
it is not that large, as you can see, but I dont have that much free
space on any other drive currently. Backuping the data on DVD will be
the waste of time.

>   Another option is to reformat the fat32 partition to be ext3 and then
> parted might work,
Can you be more specific here? You mean parted will handle that job if
the other partition will be ext3 as well? Why would it be so?

> Out of curiosity how did you get a disk with only extended partitions?

the drive served as an external storage before. It was installed in
usb-enclosure. I didn't see the point to have a primary partition since
it wasn't meant to be bootable. The vfat partitions was for there
compatibility with MS OS`s.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./