CUPS - No form feed with Epson and FC5

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:34:49 UTC 2006

Thad Nielsen wrote:
> Gerald B. Cox [gbcox at bzb.us] wrote:
>
>>I been working through FC5 upgrade issues and just noticed another.
>>
>>I have an Epson Photo R300 Printer.  I noticed that when
>>I print the CUPS test page, or print from an application such as GNUMERIC
>>or ABIWORD, the page doesn't eject from the printer when done.  The
>>only way the page is ejected is I either turn the printer off then
>>back on, or if I start another print job.  If I start another print
>>job, the spacing for that next job is messed up.
>>
>>I did notice in properties for the print queue there is a setting for
>>"Send a FF" which wasn't checked.  I tried selecting that, but it
>>doesn't make any difference.
>>
>>If I print from within GIMP however, things appear to work normally.
>>
>>I didn't have a problem with FC4 - everything worked fine.
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed this?  Should I enter a bug report?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> I have a different Epson on FC5 (fresh install, not upgrade) and I
> have no problems printing from Abiword, OpenOffice, etc.  Might you
> have selected the wrong driver (one that thinks your printer's form
> length is different than it is)?  Alternately, did you check the form
> before printing (perhaps it defaults to A4 instead of Letter, e.g.)?
>
> 	T.

Good point. Recently I acquired an Epson Stylus Photo RX-700, and
couldn't find a driver with that specific name. It took me two days, and
a lot of wasted time on print jobs that sent nothing but formfeeds to
the new printer, before I settled on a driver that worked. It was the
one for the Epson Stylus Photo 700 (without the RX prefix).

Perhaps you're suffering from the same problem--that someone's naming
conventions are at fault.

Temlakos