fedora and firefox ... what am I doing wrong?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Apr 17 23:09:31 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Skunk Worx wrote:
>> I am using FC5 and firefox. I keep it yum updated.
> 1.5.0.1 ?

Yes.

>> Suppose I go to npr.org, then search for linux related stories.
>>
>> Now I click on one in the return list, say :
>>
>> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5289411
> Their home page and that page load fine (front page has lots of images
> and takes about ten seconds).

My athlon XP box loads the main page in about 4-5 seconds, the search
page in about 4-5 seconds, and the article of interest in about 3
seconds. I should have mentioned the article title is "Hundred-Dollar
Laptop Draws Skeptics".

>> There is a SMIL link at the top. Click it.
> Can't find that link at all: need more info to try to confirm... Can you
> describe the link position in millimetres from top and left ?

There is a button-shaped, red icon with text "Listen", with a little
graphic of a speaker. When that gets clicked, firefox downloads a SMIL
file to /tmp. Hovering the mouse over the icon shows :

javascript:getMedia('ME', '20-Mar-2006', '6', 'RM,WM');

...in the lower left of FF.

Clicking the icon is currently exhibiting the problem for me about 1/3
tries. It was every time earlier.

>> Has anyone else seen this problem?
> No. Once the page is up, if you do a ctrl-i, and look at the links and
> media, what types of files is the site using ?
>
> DaveT.

Mine is still doing it...I can duplicate this at will, just by trying a
few times.

I am seeing this on many sites, many file types. Other stories on NPR do
this as well. Always the situation where I am clicking on
helper-application related content.

Now that I have RealPlayer 10 installed (and the requisite
libstdc++-33), I notice that the hang occurs when retrieving the SMIL.

Once the SMIL is in downloads, I can open it every time, instantly.

---
John