Fedora Core 5 + WinXP Pro

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 01:43:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 16:16 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 21:27 +0100, Adam Tunbridge wrote:
> > I get the feeling dual-boot systems are a /dirty /subject round here but
> > needs must I'm afraid. Right, I'm having issues loading Fedora Core 5. I
> > have 2 hard-drives:
> >
> > 80GB  (we'll call this /D1/)
> > 100GB (we'll call this /D2/)
> >
> > I started by installing WinXP on /D1/. Then I installed Fedora on /D2,
> > /using GRUB on the MBR of /D1/. This didn't work.  My system just booted
> > straight into XP. Then I tried the same but installed GRUB on the first
> > sector of /D2/. Same result. Now I've just tried the same install but
> > *without *installing GRUB and tried Acronis OS Selector instead. This
> > wouldn't event detect the existence of Fedora. I'm a complete noob when
> > it comes to Linux (Well, partial noob really. Read a few books) so
> > please explain what I'm doing wrong in moderately simple terms.
> This has been discussed a great deal lately. If /D1/ is the first master
> that is where the grub install should go. Windows likes to be on the
> first disk of the sequence (hda for example).

Windows doesn't really "like" anything; it's Bill Gates that wants your
first drive; and that is so that they have more control over your
system.  However if you deny him your first drive, they will by default
take the secondary position; because they have to.  The caveat is that
you must have no formatted msdos or ntfs partitions in existence except
for the one you're installing to.  That forces winblowz to go to one
spot:  where you want it to.

> You installing Windows was the way to go. Show us your grub.conf file
> and your device.map file and maybe some light will dawn. Also the actual
> device designation instead of your Labels would be useful.

The only way for Windows to go is the way the user wants it to go.  The
only way I ever install XP is to have Fedora on the prime real estate
(1st drive, fastest drive, biggest drive) and to have XP installed on
the secondary drive (/dev/sdc.)  Same thing for 98.  That way the
superior os is in first place and the substandard os is in second place,
which is the way it should be.

LX

--
A revolving concretion of earthy or mineral matter